Thursday, April 11, 2013

Usability and the OPAC

For a recent project that required the production of a video or slideshow, I chose to create a screencast showcasing extra features that have become a part of current (or "next-generation," though this term understates their present prevalence) OPACs. I refrained from going into detail on searching methods or theory, or the construction of advanced search queries -- each of those topics is worthy of much more disquisition than could be offered in such a brief presentation. Instead, I selected a single piece of literature, and based the demonstration on simple searches of its title. Check below the break at the end of this entry if you would like to view my project.
An aside on screencasts -- Heretofore, I was really only familiar with the use of screencasts for programming tutorials. I was intrigued and wanted to try my hand at one; this seemed like a good opportunity. I searched around for a bit after I'd completed mine, only to find very quickly that I've fallen behind the times for sure: Libraries have already been using screencasts for quite a while now.
Although I did not touch on the subject in my project, the sampling of various OPAC interfaces got me thinking about the usability of their enhancements. These updated interfaces are undoubtedly user-centric, offering services to enhance search, access, and research.

The search interface on a well-designed library website is featured prominently on the main page, usually front and center, drawing attention with attractive colors and well-defined boundaries. Tabs or buttons often allow the user to search for specific media types (books, articles, video, e-books, and so forth), and often a drop-down menu can be found to the right of the search box, allowing the user to limit the search to such criteria as keyword, author, title, subject. A link for advanced searching is almost always provided, as is a link to the unembellished "classic" search interface.

This presentation allows for optimal ease of use -- no extraneous clicks are needed to navigate to the search, the overall layout is relatively universal for all OPACs regardless of the software used to build them. The user does not need to learn how to navigate a new system when searching different libraries' catalogs.

Upon entering a search, the user is greeted not only with search results, but with the option to refine the search by limiting any of various characteristics -- availability, location, format, subject, author, publication date, et cetera. These have long been features of database searches like EBSCO, and are generally designed to bear a similar presentation. Kept as a sidebar, they are unobtrusive yet readily accessible.

Along with standard detailed item records, most current OPACs offer at least some of the following services on individual records:
  • Send the record to yourself via email or text message
  • Generate a citation or export data to reference management software (e.g., EndNote, RefWorks)
  • Share the record through various social media
  • Add the record to a personal, user-generated list
  • Request the item
  • Add comments, tags, or reviews
  • View "similar" items*
* I haven't yet tried, but it may be worthwhile to investigate how these lists of similar items are generated, and whether they can be configured. Are they based on subject matter? Author? Call number vicinity? The lists I've seen on the searches I have conducted have appeared intuitive so far; though I have admittedly given minimal attention to this feature, I have yet to notice any inexplicable results.


What is your take on OPAC usability? What areas of the catalog search do you find particularly useful or especially cumbersome?


Check below the break to view my screencast.

My screencast, A Brief Tutorial on OPAC Searches and Features:



4 comments:

  1. A great explanation of how to navigate some of the variety of OPACs out there.

    What program did you use to do the screencast? I'm just curious :)

    Also bonus points for the Tolkien. It amused me for some odd reason. Though using that search was smart especially for the Pines catalog - because I find Pines gives really odd "relevant" results and Silmarillion is pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used Kazam Screencaster on an Asus laptop running Ubuntu 12.04. I hope the workspace switching to display different windows doesn't confuse anybody; best practices for screencasting (which I did not think to consult until after I'd made mine -- I really dove in headfirst!) state that it's best to explain and demonstrate what you're doing when using keyboard shortcuts and such. It's easy not to give any thought to your actions when they're second nature to you, but it can be easy to lose your audience.

      Honestly, I've actually had very little experience using Pines over the last many years. It could be interesting to compare the content of results in various OPACs to see if similar odd discrepancies emerge.

      While preparing this screencast, I did find Pines noticeably slower than the others I examined. I'm not sure if that's particularly evident in my screencast, but I do wonder if that reflects its usual performance.

      Delete
  2. I understand your point about the keyboard shortcuts but since the goal was to explain the OPAC, I think explaining the shortcuts would be superfluous.

    I've only used Pines on a personal basis but it can sometimes be funky - especially if using Safari. I don't know if it being open source causes this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I think the usability of OPAC is high when the patrons are directed to it and know how to use the search screens. While working with patron in the libraries, the use of OPAC yield a positive review. The search areas I see is very useful to the patron as they learn to use it.

    ReplyDelete